Tic Tac Toe – Interview

1. After killing Lennie how did you cope, how did you feel?   
For the first couple days, it was hard. He was a big part of my life. Everything I did he was with me, but now that he is gone I would look to my side and he wouldn’t be there and it would make me want to drop to the ground. Around the ranch, I had to hide my emotions because I didn’t want others to see how was feeling. Although when I was alone I had to shed a couple tears because I could not resist. After a week or so I was so busy with work and hanging around with others and ranch I was distracted from thinking about Lennie. I try my best not to think of it. But when I was thinking about it, I often found myself at the bar with my fellow workers.

2. What made you finally snap and finally kill Lennie?
We had a dream. The American dream. It was going to be perfect. Me, Lennie, Candy were going to be free, finally not being told where to go what to do and not having to constantly look for new work. We were so ready. Lennie kept me motivated the whole way. What he did was a major setback to the operation. To pull the trigger was the hardest thing I’ve ever done but I had to, he was a best friend, but just like that. Bang! He was gone. Although he meant the world to me, I had to. It was so hard to do but if I didn’t the American Dream would not have been achievable. He kept putting a halt on the plan and after what happened I couldn’t risk getting stuck at square one again.

3. Do you still plan to buy the land with Candy?
Yes for sure. He and I are so close to being there that it would not make sense to not to. I’ve been working too hard all this time to just give up on my dream. Now that Lennie can’t be there with me and Candy, we plan to build a rabbits cage in his honor so that he will be always in our hearts. Every time that I’ll go feed or tend the rabbits I will always think about him.

4. Why did you continue to take care of Lennie after all that he had put you through?
He was a motivation to me, he kept me going even through the hard times, he was someone I needed when no one else was there for me. He put me through hell and back, but it was a way that we bonded as one. We were a team, we traveled miles on miles, we fought, we told stories, we were like any other set of best friends. No matter how much he drove me through the roof he was still my best friend.

5. What would you have done if you decided to run away with Lennie?
I would have done the same thing we’ve done before, run and find new work. I wasn’t ready to start over again though. It was hard to find work close to where we were, it would have been a hard couple weeks with no work and limited food. I can’t really think of anything else I would have done because that thought didn’t really cross my mind at the time, nor has it ever.

One Comment

1. lionkelait

You did a great job of making the responses in your interview sound very life like, particularly how you used some shorter, choppy sentences to make your point followed by a longer one, “We had a dream. The American dream. It was going to be perfect. Me, Lennie, Candy were going to be free, finally not being told where to go what to do and not having to constantly look for new work.” This pulls the reader in and makes them interested in what you are writing. Thank-you!